Thursday, January 21, 2010

My Favorite Life Memory (so far)...The Fight

Well, starting off, today was a crazy, filled day that I'll probably never forget. A lot of different things happened and it was entertaining but very productive and worthwhile to say the least. As I was walking back to my room just now, I recalled what seems to be my favorite life memory. As an 11-13 year-old amateur boxer, I fought this kid named Brent Steward three times. I only won the second of the three fights but the end of the second fight made for a moment I'll never forget. I came into the fight with an immense amount of nervous energy. As soon as the bell rung to get things started, it was as if I had been stung by a lightning bolt. I fought fiercely and aggresively all three rounds, attacking as if my life depended on it. When the final bell rung at the end of the third round, I stumbled back to my corner, incredibly exhuasted. No better sight could I have seen at that moment than that which I did. My Dad/coach was smiling hugely, arms wide open to greet me. He gave me the firmest hug I can ever remember as my body collapsed in his embrace. He put a quick kiss on my dirty, grimy, leather headgear and I felt as though the world had stopped for a minute. Never have I felt so incredible in my life. The decision hadn't even been announced yet but knowing that my Dad was so proud of my effort meant all the world to me. I wonder if this is why I like distance running so much. I get a similar feeling that almost brings me back to that moment when I know that I have given my all physically and mentally. If the Lord grants grace, I hope to have this feeling when I approach death. Exhausted physically, mentally, and spritually knowing that I gave my best effort and had a heart that desired to please Him. I can't imagine the joy that awaits every believer who places their trust in the Lord and fights to spread His Word throughout the world. As Paul says in 2 Timothy 4:7-8, "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day-and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing."

God bless,

Josh

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We all seek our fathers approval Spiritually and physically. Great story.